Saturday, March 4, 2017

Travelin' to Apopka, FL


 Actually, we're at Apopka, FL.  Here to visit Donna's brother David and sister-in-law Mary.  Be here a couple of weeks.

Trip down was interesting.  We, once again, experienced unintended emergency breakaway engagement every time we made a sharp turn to the right.  The new puck system in the bed of the truck raises the hitch legs which
the break away cable loves to wrap around and activate the breakaway switch.  That locks the trailer breaks.  And, yes, we go down the road smoking the trailer tires to get to a safe place to pull over.  And, yes, that means the new truck has enough power to drag the trailer when we have to.
We made a two-night stop at Tallahassee on the way down to visit Randy and Shirley.  They're great people who we spent a season volunteering with in Voyageurs.  They'd volunteered at a fish hatchery near the Grand Tetons.  We'd grown jealous of Shirley's pictures and wanted to get some info on the place.  They gave us the grand tour of the south Tallahassee area with one stop at Wakulla Springs.  Really enjoyed our visit with Randy and Shirley.  I think we kept them out too late!

The trip down - other than the breakaway cable issue - was great.  Getting roughly the same fuel mileage as we would have in the other truck.  Adaptive cruise control works great.  Other than parking the trailer in the campgrounds, Donna did all the driving.  She's real happy with the seats - all that heating/cooling and massaging stuff they do.

Truck GPS still thinks we're in a Focus.  Ford builds a truck that tows 15+ tons of weight - trailers that can be 13 and a half feet (or more) tall, sometimes 102 inches wide, and axles that can weight over 9,000 lbs.  But the GPS?  Nope. It's for a small car.  So we get the busy dash you see in the bottom picture.

However, the trip down wasn't good for my online life.  We toasted an 8 year old iPod.  I'm on my 3rd computer in 13 months and the last one (4 months old) toasted Wednesday night with a bad NETwtw04.sys file.  Apparently, it's enough of a failure that I can't even reset Windows 10.   So I've resurrected the previous laptop (now a desktop as it won't run on battery).  It, too, is giving me fits as I update stuff.  And, to top it all off, blogger is refusing to save this post.   (We're getting 4G LTE with 4 out of 5 bar strength, so I doubt the internet is the problem.) The navy sucked every ounce of tolerance out of me for this stuff.  I've got to take a few days and calm down just to take the 4 month old computer to the Geek squad just to see what can be done about that NETwtw04.sys file.  They'd probably have to call the cops just to calm me down if I went today.  And in the end, they'll probably tell me to get a new computer! I'm convince that the Bill Gates' business model of selling flawed, unfinished products is the main business model for today's economy.

So I'm ready to bust up some computers.  How about you?  Everyone have a great weekend and enjoy yourselves!  David


No comments:

Post a Comment